Monday, June 21, 2010

It's Official!

We got the call last week!! Nicho bear has been accepted into The Priscilla Pond Flawn Child and Family Laboratory, also known as the UT Lab school.  It's located on the UT campus and it is an absolute WONDERFUL program.  I took a tour of the center back in the fall of 2008 and put his name on the waiting list even though he was only 16 months at the time, they don't take any children younger than 18 months.  I used to do observations for child development courses at the ACC Children's Lab School, it is also a wonderful school but harder to get into since it is 1.) super cheap 2.) full-time 3.) on the east side of town and I believe they only offer the program to that particular community/area besides the staff and students. 
I was hoping we would hear something from the UT lab school last Spring but we didn't.  This year once May came and went I thought for sure we wouldn't hear from them but I was wrong when we got the call last week!! 
There are 16 three year olds in a class with 3 teachers.  All of the Master teachers in each of the classrooms are on the faculty of Division of Human Development and Family Sciences.  Throughout the year, UT students who are taking a Human Ecology course will come in and observe/interact with the children under the supervision of the teachers.  He will attend school 4 days a week and 3 hours a day in the afternoons.  I get alot of questions about what this place has to offer so hopefully this will answer some questions.

Child and Family Laboratory  Goals:
The development of:
-self-confidence, initiative and a positive self image
-a feeling of belonging, love and respect
-friendliness and consideration for others
-enthusiasm for learning
-inquiry approach to learning
-ability to solve problems
-complex skills and learning in the physical, cognitive, and emotional areas of development

My main goal for Nicho at this school is to get positive discipline and guidance to help build his self-esteem AND also learn to be respectful of other people.  Academics is great and nothing is more important than to have a child with high self-esteem and respect for others and themself.  With good self-esteem you can accomplish anything and I KNOW this program will continue to build him up. 

I am a little sad that he will not be at his current school anymore.  I'm so used to being close to him all day, big changes for mommy.  I'm even sadder that he will not be attending our church preschool this fall either.  We actually were not planning on sending him at all to his current school...maybe part-time but were not certain on that either.  We got a call early spring that he was accepted into the St. Catherine's Parent's morning out two days a week.  I was so happy about that because I wanted him to be around the children in our Parish and learn more about our religion. I will send him on to Sunday school next year when he is old enough and Catechism when he is of school age like I was growing up  :) 
The Lab school has always been our number 1 choice for early childhood development.  Wish us luck as we venture on to a new chapter in our lives.

Noah will have to wait a few more years until he goes there.  We are working on this process already.

No comments:

Post a Comment